Friday 3/21 Blog Post

Friday 3/21 Blog Post

I am incredibly excited about my research project and the topic I have chosen. That being said, my research has had it’s setbacks. It’s incredibly difficult to find primary sources coming from model’s perspectives. Many models are fearful about posting their personal feelings on the internet about the industry which has limited my ability to find sources. Once I dig a little deeper, I am hopeful that I will be able to find more accounts from models because that has been my biggest setback in this project.

Other than that, I have lucked out in the amount of primary sources that I have found. Many scholars have written on Chinese gender inequalities, working conditions and the difficulties that women experience in the workplace.

Overall, I am looking forward to diving a little deeper into this project over the next few weeks.

2 Responses »

1. Have you considered the difference between application and interpretation of a primary source? Since your topic is on Chinese Models, you do not have to find models willing to speak about their lifestyles; you can interpret lifestyle from what they or anyone related says and what they show publicly; If you can’t find anything verbatim from a model, that says something about their work life in and of itself. Your “primary” sources may not be as useful as they should be, but you should still be able to find a number of them.

2. I think its great that you’re willing to research such a controversial topic. Take advantage of the additional scholars, and see whether or not they relate share similar or dissimilar views of your research.