“Young and the Restless” Frontline Video

After watching the beginning portion of the Frontline video, I was struct by a few aspects of the film.

Firstly, the part pertaining to the community and power lines interested me. The community’s well being was completely ignored as the party made their choice. This story resonated with me and reminded me of the Chavez Ravine incident in Los Angeles, California where an entire mexican american community was displaced by the state without any concern over the community’s residents.

Chapter 7 which focused on love relations seemed very similar but different to American love stories. The rapped who chatted online with a girl and then sent her money to come visit but never appeared was not surprising. This is the quintessential American idea of “catifishing”, which Mtv even has a series about. While I find internet chatting bizarre, I was interested to see how this type of relationship occurred in China.

The arranged marriages were a bit difficult for me to even comprehend where we live in a society that has the notion that a person marry’s for love. In China, it appears that people are more honest with themselves and the idea of marrying for money. In our American culture, that is an influential part of relationships yet we continue to operate on the fantasy of marriages purely of love.

This semester I have read a few articles on women and been alarmed by their living conditions. Once again, Frontline frightened me about women’s conditions. The extent of human trafficking is a terrifying reality in China. What saddened me the most was the young girl, who’s mother unknowingly was sold as a prostitute and the community did not want to welcome her back. I felt the daughter’s pain and could not even understand how the community did not recognize that the woman was being mistreated. Women lack a basic amount of human rights.

Overall, the cultural gaps between generations in China seems almost as if generations are living in opposite worlds.

One Response »

1. I also found many events of the womens’ lives far more interesting than those of the men, but I wonder if you’re not condensing a number of different issues. You mention catfishing and arranged marriages as “marrying for money” and the mother who was “sold as a prostitute.” I think in the video’s marriages, we saw all of marriages for love, money, convenience, and tradition. Here i found myself pleasantly surprised at the lack of overarching patriarchal control demonstrated. On the other hand, the abducted mother’s story gave a grim picture of trafficking. I don’t think that prostitution alone could demand a significant part of the workforce anywhere, but a combination housekeeper/cook/nurse/prostitute might. Her situation was horrifying, and I found it much more shocking than the “patriarchal attitudes” that I was expecting to see. I wonder if the issue is not a difference in de jure gender rights (the two businesswomen both seemed to be confident and successful in their lives), but rather an inefficiency or corruption in official response, such as would let a woman disappear for two decades without a search.